Eligible professionals (EPs) can now attest through the CMS web-based attestation system and be on their way to receiving Medicare EHR incentive payments. Several new CMS resources can help you successfully navigate the Medicare EHR Incentive Program:
- A new attestation page on the CMS EHR website, where participants in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program can help you find important information on attestation.
- The Meaningful Use Attestation Calculator allows EPs and eligible hospitals to check whether they have met meaningful use guidelines before they attest in the system. The calculator prints a copy of each EP's specific measure summary; and
- The Eligible Professional User Guide provides step-by-step guidance for EPs on navigating the attestation system.
If you are not ready to attest, follow these steps to participate in the programs:
(1) Make sure you are eligible for the EHR Incentive Programs. View eligibility guidelines at the CMS' Eligibility page and select the program in which you want to participate.
(2) Get registered. Registration is open for EPs. Visit the Registration page for more details.
(3) Use certified EHR technology. To receive incentive payments, make sure the EHR technology you are using or are considering buying has been certified by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. Visit the Certified EHR Technology page for details.
(4) Be a Meaningful User. You must successfully demonstrate "meaningful use" for a consecutive 90-day period in your first year of participation (and for a full year in each subsequent year) to receive EHR incentive payments. Visit the Meaningful Use page to learn about meaningful use objectives and measures.
(5) Attest for incentive payments. To get your EHR incentive payment, you must attest through Medicare's secure website that you have demonstrated meaningful use with certified EHR technology.
The link for the CMS Incentive Programs is http://www.cms.gov/EHRIncentivePrograms/