Comment period for managing hazardous chemical exposures in workplace
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recently announced the comment period on a "Request for Information on Chemical Management and Permissible Exposure Limits" is being extended until October 9, 2015.
OSHA initially issued the request for information on October 10, 2014, in the Federal Register. Comments may be submitted electronically by clicking here, which will access the Federal eRulemaking Portal, or by mail or facsimile.
Globally Harmonized System
The Globally Harmonized System (GHS) requires chemical manufacturers and importers to evaluate the chemicals they produce or import and provide hazard information to employers and workers by putting labels on containers and preparing safety data sheets. The GHS provides a single set of harmonized criteria for classifying chemicals according to their health and physical hazards and specifies hazard communication elements for labeling and safety data sheets.
- As of December 1, 2013, all of healthcare organizations are required to be trained on the new label elements and SDS format.
- After June 1, 2015, chemical manufactures, importers, distributers, and employers are required to comply with all modified provisions of this final rule, except:
- Distributors may ship products labeled by manufacturers under the old system until December 1, 2015.
- After June 1, 2016, all employers are required to update alternative workplace labeling (including their old MSDS binders) and their hazard communication program as necessary, and provide additional training for newly identified physical or health hazards.
Did you know?
Did you know Healthcare Compliance Pros can help your organization meet these requirements in a number of ways?
- Our OSHA training provides training for employees on the new label elements and new Safety Data Sheets (SDS) format.
- Our forms section includes a GHS Labeling Factsheet, a GHS Pictograms and Hazard Classes document, and more.
- Our Core Compliance program provides access for your organization to our OSHA Hazard Risk Assessment.
- In addition to everything in Core Compliance, our OSHA + program provides your organization access to:
- Updated SDS Binder – Clients who upgrade to OSHA+ receive access to our online SDS database and their own virtual SDS Binder which is made available to their entire staff;
- Year-Round SDS Support; and
- OSHA Self-Inspection – Tracking and reporting for each location.
If you would like more information about our OSHA services, or if you have any OSHA related questions, please feel free to comment below or send us an email at [email protected] or reach us by phone toll-free at 855-427-0427.