Recently, CMS released "the first proposed update to the physician payment schedule since the repeal of the Sustainable Growth Rate." This proposed update is largely focused on person-centered care, and continued efforts of transforming the Medicare program to a system based on quality and healthy outcomes.
The proposed rule, CY 2016 Physician Fee Schedule Rule,includes:
- Updates to payment policies
- Updates to the Physician Quality Reporting System
- Updated to the Physician Value-Based Payment Modifier
Additionally, CMS is seeking comment on:
- The new Merit-based Incentive payment system (MIPS); and
- proposal that supports patient- and family-centered care for seniors and other Medicare beneficiaries by enabling them to discuss advance care planning with their providers.
According to the CMS announcement "the proposal follows the American Medical Association's recommendation to make advance care planning services a separately payable service under Medicare."
CMS is accepting public comments on the CY 2016 PFS proposed rule, until September 8, 2015. The proposed rule will be published in the Federal Register on July 15, 2015. CMS will issue the final rule by November 1, 2015.
If you have any additional questions please feel free to comment below or send us an email at [email protected] or reach us by phone toll-free at 855-427-0427