Did you know there are 3 key compliance dates related to OSHA's adoption of the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS)?
- June 1, 2015 Chemical manufacturers and distributors must complete hazard reclassification and produce GHS styled labels and safety data sheets. Distributors get a "grace period" of up to an additional 6 months to complete shipments of old inventory.
- December 1, 2015 Distributors must comply fully with OSHA's Hazard Communication standard (HCS) requirements "grace period" for shipments of old inventory ends.
- June 1, 2016 Employers must be in full compliance with revised HCS, including complete training of employees on new hazards and/or revisions to workplace hazard communication program.
What are we doing to help organizations with the transition to GHS?
Your Healthcare Compliance Pros program includes all the training and updated information you will need on this new OSHA Standard. Your OSHA training already contains information about the GHS and updates to SDS.
During the phase-in period over the next year, employers may comply with the current MSDS standard, the final SDS standard, or both. OSHA has stated that it would not be unusual to see elements of both standards in the workplace at the same time during this timeframe, and that this would be acceptable.
We have an online SDS database containing thousands of chemicals, cleaning agents, office supplies, medications, and other chemicals that we maintain for our clients.
What is the cost of the SDS Database services?
- There is a $400 one time activation fee to upload and setup your SDS program on the HCP website.
- Then to maintain and update there is just a $20 monthly service fee.
- The SDS database is available to all employees as federally mandated.
- This service is part of our OSHA+ program which also comes with a self-guided annual OSHA Self Inspection for each of your physical locations.
Here's a screenshot of ahandful of SDS's on the current database. On the live website, each is linked to a searchable/printable PDF of the SDS:
We're currently in the process of updating all SDS from manufacturers who are updating their sheets. We will have all entries in the database updated prior to the June 1, 2016 deadline. If you would like to use this service or have any questions about OSHA's GHS requirements, please do not hesitate to contact us or leave a comment below.